My name is Michelle Ward, I am Junior at the University of South Alabama. I am working on my Bachelors degree in Elementary Education. I love learning and I think that you should learn something new everyday. As much as I love being a student, I love being a teacher even more. Teaching gives me a daily opportunity to learn and laugh with children. I believe that the aim of education is to enable a continued capacity for growth. By awakening a natural curiosity found in young minds to help them discover new things, including finding out that learning is fun.

My Teaching Philosophy

Community

I will foster a sense of community by establishing a warm supportive atmosphere where me and my students will coordinate our efforts toward the same learning goals. Children are more likely to express positive attitudes about school, be intrinsically motivated to learn, and achieve at high levels when schools cultivate a sense of community. I genuinely care, respect, and support my students and I want that to be felt in my classroom. Students should feel safe in my classroom physically and psychologically. They should feel safe to make mistakes without being ridiculed. I will adopt an authoritative approach to classroom management and set clear guidelines for behavior that will require respect of others.

In a community of learners every student participates in activities and are potential resources for each other. I want my students to engage in learning together to promote complex thinking processes that are involved in group-based learning. Student's will have opportunities to participate in self-directed activities and may contribute to the direction of assignments with my guidance.

A school as a whole should foster a sense of community as well. When students, teachers, and other school staff have shared goals, support one another's efforts, and believe that everyone makes an important contribution then the school cultivates a sense of community that will contribute to its success. As a teacher I will work with colleagues to develop these shared ideals. I believe my involvement with my school is very important because I know that by helping a student or by attending meetings often that I can make a difference.